Monday, April 9, 2012

Fearless

So, I've been thinking a lot about fear vs. faith. Recently, this week I've had two very good friends who have had fear and have turned to me for words of encouragement.

There is a reason why the title of this blog is Fearless. I've had many examples of fearlessness in my life. My sister is probably the best example I can think of. Her panic disorder causes her to be scared for no apparent reason, yet she is the most bold and brave woman I've ever known. It's a conundrum. A contradiction. But she has been an example to me that you can overcome fear even if you cannot control where that fear comes from.

These two dear girls that I love so much have reminded me about taking a leap of faith. One of them is fearful of the consequences of moving out to Utah because she's comfortable in Georgia. It's all she's ever really known, yet she yearns and desires for an adventure. For a new start.

The other is nervous of putting herself in a potentially compromising situation. She may risk losing her pride & getting hurt from a person she cares about deeply.

I don't think it's a coincidence that my own fears came to mind as I was pondering their situations. Recently, I've had fear of the future and fear of letting myself open up to someone, fear of possibly falling in love. Typically I try and cover up these fears by careful apathy and listlessness or by my false fearless bravado.

Yet I was thinking about these two remarkable women and myself, and trying to figure out how to help assuage their own fears, several quotes and song lyrics came to mind.

The first is a poem by Sarah Williams:
Though my soul may set in darkness,
it will rise in perfect light.
I have loved the stars too fondly
to be fearful of the night.


The second is a song by Christina Perri called A Thousand Years:

Heart beats fast
Colors and promises
How to be brave
How can I love when I'm afraid
To fall
But watching you stand alone
All of my doubt
Suddenly goes away somehow

One step closer...


And the last thing I thought of was a quote from Harry Potter:
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that.

What I've learned is through it all, fear has never gotten any person anywhere. If anything, it is a paralyzer. A venom from a poisonous spider or snake. If we constantly live our lives fearing, we'll never be able to explore new people, discover new things and enjoy new opportunities. I have learned that I'd much rather love more, and fear less than hurt less and fear more. I don't care what the future brings, it doesn't matter. I'll meet it head on when it does come. I'm not going to be afraid of the question, "What if...?"

So whether I get my heart broken or move from job to job 1,000 more times, I'm counting on the 1,001 or 1,002nd time of getting something right.

xoxo
Mega-Mega

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful thoughts. Something I really needed to hear and ponder as well. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY VERY VERY well said, my dear!!!

    ReplyDelete