Sunday, February 24, 2013

Shakespeare Sundays

Recently I've been on a William Shakespeare kick, which hasn't happened for quite a while. I rediscovered the 1968 film version of Romeo and Juliet by director Franco Zeffrelli. When I read the play in high school, I enjoyed parts of it, but realized just how awful of a love story it really was. Romeo is fickle & indecisive, while Juliet is easily seduced and foolish in falling in love with Romeo too fast. Both Romeo and Juliet are impulsive, rash and irrationally reckless.

However, there's a line that Juliet says to Romeo after they've promised themselves to each other faithfully.

"And all my fortunes at thy foot I lay and follow thee my lord throughout the world."

[start it from 1:49]

For some reason, that line struck such a chord with me that I literally Awwed out loud.  It is incredibly romantic, even in spite of the fact that these kids have only known each other for a grand total of 30 minutes. But as I thought on it more, I realized that this sentiment of putting everything one has at the foot of someone you love could easily be applied to Gospel principles.

How often are we willing, happy even, to lay "all my fortunes" at the foot of the Savior? And follow Him "throughout the world"? Not as often as we should from what I've concluded.

This new perspective that Shakespeare gave me yesterday as I watch Olivia Hussey speak those words has made me re-evaluate yet again how renewed my commitment to the Savior and to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

My prayer is that we all my be able to give up everything and lay it at the feet of the one who gave us everything we have.




xoxo
Megs

1 comment: